Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

SF Ballet School Acceptance

I wasn't quite prepared for the day when my then 6-six-year old told me she wanted to audition for the SF Ballet company's prestigious ballet school. This happened about a year ago, right after she told me that the local ballet school she was dancing in "wasn't serious enough." The class had a few kids from the same school and there was lots of giggling going on...I got her point. 

We then enrolled her in the pre-ballet program of the school. Her technique improved leaps and bounds as well as her dedication to practice. Moreover, her joy of dancing grew each day. Two weeks ago, audition day finally came and went. The day itself was madness due to a local performance around the civic center - it created some serious traffic and parking issues and I barely got her to the audition on time. In fact, we were late, which I felt horrible about. Luckily, Anna still had a smile on her face and was excited to get it done.

For the past two weeks, I was a nervous wreck waiting for the results and it didn't help that Anna asked me everyday if I had received word yet (the school planned on emailing  them to us parents). Well, I woke up on Saturday morning to a very happy message and the rest, as they say, is history.

It's amazing to me that as young as six, Anna set her sights on a goal and pursued it vigorously. This acceptance was hard won and I couldn't be more proud of her...I could learn a lesson or two from her :)



No comments:

Post a Comment