Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

My First Marathon Registration

Yup! I signed up for the SF Marathon. One hell of a course for my first 26.2 miles. I'm super psyched!

At the moment, I'm researching marathon training plans. And as I peruse the very mature running blog community, am realizing that it may behoove me to consider joining a running club to help inspire, support and inform my training. I'm really excited about this new journey.

Meanwhile, I am a solid 3 weeks into running between 16-20 miles as a foundational base of fitness. As a reward to myself for all the hard work and effort *patting back*, I bought some gear over the weekend. I got the Garmin 305, a foam roller and the 'less sexy' stock of Gu and new running tights. I absolutely LOVE the foam roller and am geeked about the Garmin. I just broke it in today on my long run!

Today's long run wrapped up week 3 of my 'base' training. I am really tough on myself (read: I have a terribly negative internal monologue) so I have to confess that I make an effort in this blog to psych myself up with lots of exclamation points and metaphorical back slapping! <-- See? The bad news is that I had planned on another 20-21 mile week. The GOOD news is that I ran 16.7 miles instead.

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 4 miles 3.7 Miles

Wednesday: 2 miles Was feeling really tired and worried I was coming down with something. Was listening to my body as it adjusts to the introduction of miles. But I was definitely feeling down about it.

Thursday: 4 miles

Friday: Rest

Saturday: 3-4 miles Unlike the bummer feeling I had on Wednesday. I'm just annoyed with myself that I skipped this.

Sunday: 8 miles 9 miles. I was super proud of myself for ending this week strong. It was my first run around golden gate park and what a wonderful way to explore this beautiful resource in the city! We've gone there a few times to visit the museums and to take Anna to the playground but this time, I was able to explore different areas of the park.

The other highlight of this run was the fact that I was using my garmin for the first time! At mile 4 however, I pulled a rookie move and forgot to hit 'start' after a quick drinking fountain break. Also, I need to figure out how to auto-record laps (via 1 mile increments). Can't wait to reap the full benefits of my new toy!

Finally, I was able to use my foam roller both before and after my run. My legs are thanking me for it! Here's one of my favorite pictures from the weekend of me and Anna during our family date night on Saturday. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment