Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Week 8 - US Half Training

A solid two week habit of running is a big milestone for me. And I'm really excited to be reporting on it.

During the week, Zane has helped the family get on an earlier schedule in the morning so (1) we aren't as frazzled getting out the door and (2) he can support my having time to workout (plus Sasa and I get some bonding time too - hehe). On the latter point, I think I've come up with every excuse in the book over the last year and am now at the point where I'm craving that run to help clear what is usually a foggy, stressed head space as I mentally plan out my work day and evening routine with the family. As I think I've mentioned in a past post, I'm treating this first month as 'detox' and ensuring that I get back into this healthy and ultimately, critical habit.

The half marathon race is a nice goal for me to work for - it feeds my competitive spirit :) Before I give the weekly roundup - a few thoughts on my weekend runs: The weekend before was my first time running more than   2 miles in I-don't-remember-when. Without much thought, I laced up my shoes and ran the serious Presidio Trails with Sasa and don't plan on ever looking back. What an incredible place to run, is all I have to say.

This past weekend, I again, decided not to think about running to much either. So, on Saturday after sleeping in to about 8:30, I asked Zane and Anna if they wanted to meet me at Baker Beach so I can do a one way run across the city. I ate half a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and a Zico and was on my way (without Sasa for the first time in a week). At about 53 minutes in, I felt light headed and realized I needed some Gu for a trek of this distance (I bought some later on in the day). It was a gorgeous day and I took in the fresh cool air, the cloudless sky and picturesque landscape of SF. When I arrived at Baker Beach, however, we had to head back home right away because I was without water at the end of the approximately 1:06 hr/ 6 mile run.

And while I felt great, I was also definitely feeling a bit tired later on in the day. On Sunday, I got up relatively early again and headed out for a shorter 4-mile loop around the financial district and the Embarcadero. Sasa was with me this time and made things interesting as he had to sniff all the random city smells through Montgomery and Market Street - after the first 1.5 miles, he settled down. And so did I - it usually takes me a good 20 minutes (unsurprisingly) to settle into a groove, which suggests to me that I need to get out of the habit of bursting (versus easing) through that first two miles.

When I got to Market - I ended up using a young couple ahead of me as pacers. They cut out after a mile. At one point, I tried not to gasp in horror as a much older (think Grandma & Grandpa) couple flew past me on the Embarcadero. As the running trails get more crowded later on in the morning, I'm reminded that it would do me good to get up early and take advantage of the calm of the trails (and apparently, the humiliation of getting run down by folks 3 times my age).

Before the last mile, I started feeling a bit light headed again so I sucked down some Gu (had half a peanut butter and jelly sandwich before the run and half a Zico) and felt a jolt of energy. I thought, whoa, these things really work and I felt great kicking the remainder of the way through the last uphill.

In terms of the workweek before, I've been keeping the pressure on myself low and setting a minimum bar of 20 minutes to run. And if you note above, since it takes me 20 minutes to settle into a run, the 20 minutes really is a warm-up that is just what I need to get the blood flowing for the work day. After the nice fatigue I felt over the weekend after my long runs, it reminded me that my body is indeed, still getting used to all this activity. Best not to push it, but I do want to make sure I get enough miles in to be prepared for April.

Here's the week round-up (will update later with precise numbers from my Suunto)

Mon (2/7): 2 mile jog | Week 1 Day 2 Column 2 of the Push Up Challenge
Tue (2/8): 2 mile jog | Week 1 Day 3 Column 2 of the Push Up Challenge
Wed (2/9): 1.5 mile jog | Week 1 Day 3 Column 2 of the Push Up Challenge
Thu (2/10): 10 minute jog with Sasa around the Park | Week 1 Day 3 Column 2 of the Push Up Challenge
Fri (2/11): Off | Week 1 Day 3 Column 2 of the Push Up Challenge
Sat (2/12): 6 mile run | Week 1 Day 3 Column 2 of the Push Up Challenge
Sun (2/13): 4 mile run | Week 1 Day 3 Column 2 of the Push Up Challenge

Total Miles: ~15.5 miles

In terms of our activity as a family - we went to our traditional Friday night hang out at King of Thai, then on Saturday hung out at Baker Beach then a shopping stint at Sports Basement. While Zane took Sasa out for an Embarcadero roller blade session, Anna and had some girl time around North Beach. First at Sushi Hunter then Cafe Roma for a cup of coffee/ milk. On Sunday, after my run, we hiked down to the Metreon and took Anna to see Never Say Never, which I thought was a hoot! She loved it. We chilled out for the rest of the day around the city and enjoyed our last few hours of sun - we're up for a rainy week ahead, BOO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment