Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

SFM Training Kick-Off

San Francisco Marathon Training has officially kicked off. Hopefully, it will indeed be "worth the hurt" as they say for my first marathon! The journey so far has involved 2 proud months of running an average of 16-25 mpw after having been sedentary for at least a full year. And just yesterday, I kicked off the first day of an 18-week SFM sponsored training program with a 7 mile Golden Gate Bridge out and back!

Sports Basement - Golden Gate Bridge Out&Back
Before my alarm had gone off for the training kick-off, the strong pitter patter of the rain had me a bit....worried, let's say. I had never run in the rain before and I was ambivalent, at best, to start that morning (as I expressed in my last post). It's amazing how much energy it actually takes to mentally convince oneself to commit. I had serious doubts about (1) going at all and (2) participating in the run after just showing up and meeting the pacers, etc. - I had actually packed my gym bag, prepared to hit the treadmill!!

In the end, I committed and headed out the door after a cup of coffee. I usually fuel up healthily in the morning but I had a huge dinner the night before and was still feeling full! Thanks Sodini's for an awesome fettuccine with clams and mussels plate!

When I arrived, I was surprised at the size of the crowd! The entire entrance patio of Sports Basement was packed with runners! I ran through the parking lot and situated myself at the end of the looong line to sign in. It felt like the first day of kindergarten - I didn't know anyone there and after signing myself in, I awkwardly made it over to a pace group.

I ended up finding the 10:00-10:30 mm group and met a few nice ladies who introduced themselves and expressed similar concern about hitting the first training run in the rain! Standing around, I was definitely beginning to feel a bit chilly and it didn't help that my handheld was filled with COLD water, and I was without gloves. We didn't stand around for too long and before I knew it, we were off!

The fact that I knew the route was comforting and I quickly settled into a nice little groove while hopping over puddles along the way. By the time we were on our way back at the 3.5 mile turn around, I felt like a million bucks! I ended up chatting with a fellow runner, Hillary, and was surprised at how easy 9:20 mm were feeling. Dudes - this was NOT a 10:30 pace, but it was all good!


Pic from a fellow runner as we crossed the bridge.


When we returned to the SB, we were greeted by folks from Psoas Massage + Bodywork. We learned a bunch of great runners stretches and I benefited from a quickie consultation about the pain I've been feeling in the back of my knee. Upon further inspection, it turns out that it's really pain from the upper portion of my calf muscle and after an AWESOME little massage, Scott concluded that it was most likely a sprain. Like a true businessman, he suggested that I make an appointment to see them and let me tell you, after the little magic he had just pulled, I'm definitely thinking about takin' him up on that offer.

All in all, it was a great day, and I was especially psyched to walk away my new goodies!! WOO HOO!


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment