The title of this blog post should really be: How Work Travel Derails Marathon Training.
After a quick turn around from my trip to the Netherlands, I'm now in Toronto for a conference. I arrived here on a red-eye and to be blunt, I'm pretty miserable right now sitting in this sad hotel room on this rainy day while I try to get some work done after what feels like 2 hours of sleep. I guess this isn't going to be on of those 'fun' work trips :)
In any case, I thought I would report on some severely compromised mileage in weeks 6 and 7 (of 18) of my SFM marathon training. I know I have quite a few weeks to make it up but still, it's always the intention to stay within reasonable reach of plan. That said, I'm really pleased that I've still managed to get out there the past two weeks, especially since the running has done wonders in terms of managing jet lag and helping me feel good despite the weird nutrition and sleep patterns.
I'm really looking forward to getting back to SF this Thursday to reset and start ramping up on training again. Especially since I don't have any crazy trips planned between now and then.
In the meantime, here's the breakdown of runs from weeks 6 and 7 as well as the photo highlights from my trip to the Netherlands last week.



My friend and I were just emailing about SFM training and work travel getting in the way. I made my training schedule yesterday and really had to massage it to get my miles in around all these trips I have. :o( THe hardest part for me when it comes to running on a trip is that I usually end up out at dinner way past my bedtime with coworkers or customers and my feet are usually killing me from standing around at a tradeshow so runnign is not fun. :o( But.. all part of life getting things to fit in. :o)
ReplyDeletehave fun in Toronto! I was there the last two years for tradeshows and thought it was a nice city. (Though I favor Vancouver)
Thanks, Monika. I'll definitely be taking your advice in terms of re-working my training schedule between now and SFM. To be truthful, I'm wondering at this point if I should do the half...but I suppose I can decide that later on!
ReplyDeleteAnd OMG, yes, regarding wearing out your legs at events standing on them, in heels no less, all day long. Then, of course there's the flow of happy hour...OY!